Thursday, June 1, 2023

"Kuiama"

Recently, I watched this performance of "Kuiama" on The Midnight Special on 29 June 1973:


I'm pretty sure this is the same backing track as the studio version (although edited for length) but with live vocals.

This probably isn't a very significant point, but yester-day, I realized that one of the verses exhibits anacoluthon, a rhetorical effect that's basically just an interruption in the logical flow of a sentence.  In the song, it appears in the lines "It's just that I mean - well, that is to say / That I'm trying to explain, but I'll start again."

When I watched the video again in order to embed it here, I also noticed the line "No horsemen in the night a-ridin' through your dreams and tearin' at your life" (I'm not sure where or if there should be line breaks there).  This is an allusion to the four horsemen of the apocalypse in Revelation 6:1-8.