Thursday, August 8, 2024

"Julie Don't Live Here"

A couple weeks ago, I figured out the bass part in "Julie Don't Live Here."  While transcribing it yester-day, I noticed a couple musical features in the song that highlight particular lyrics.

After the first line in each verse, there's a descending piano phrase (B B A# A# G# G# F# F#).  Because it's diatonic, it provides a sense of the steps involved in the walking in the second and third verses ("I walked along the street" and "I walked up to your door") and perhaps even in the first verse ("I wandered through the town").

About halfway through each verse, there's a tubular bell phrase that doubles a handful of notes in the bass part (C# E# F# G#).  Because the song is in B major, that E# is an accidental, and this mirrors the sentiment in the lines "A town I knew so well, but it seemed so strange" in the first verse, "But things have changed" in the second, and "But it was different now" in the third.  (There's also an E# accidental in the C# major chord under "seemed so strange.")

I also noticed that in the line "A street I'd walked along many times before" in the second verse, more voices join in for "many times before," lending a sense of number.